Here are some things to keep in mind when shopping for a transmission shop in the Dallas – Fort Worth area.
The transmission repair shop should be willing to provide you with a worst-case estimate, before starting work on your vehicle. If the conversation seems vague, get it in writing.
The transmission repair shop should provide a full coverage warranty and should be able to answer any questions you may have.
The transmission repair shop should have equipment specifically designed for working on advanced, late-model automotive transmissions.
The transmission repair technicians should have the skills and experience essential to diagnosing today’s complex vehicle transmission problems.
The transmission repair shop should not pressure you into authorizing service until all of your questions have been answered.
Have questions? Please contact American Transmissions.
For fastest service please always ask for Phillip
Since 1977, American Transmissions has specialized in transmission repair, engine replacement, and rebuild of transmissions for all makes and models including automatic and manual transmissions.
A vehicle transmission connects the power source (engine) to the drive mechanism and regulates the process as a vehicle’s speed varies. While transmissions can be automatic or manual, the basic way they work is the same in all cars.
Properly maintained, a well-built transmission should not cause problems. However, once symptoms begin it is critical that the system be repaired to avoid further damage (and expense).
The top ten most common reasons that a transmission fails include:
1. Lack of maintenance: Routine maintenance checks are important to extending the life of a transmission. American Transmission offers transmission tune-ups starting as low as $24.95.
2. Transmission Fluid: A transmission consists primarily of a series of gears operating at high temperatures. Maintaining proper levels of the correct type of transmission fluid is critical to avoid damage to the transmission. Fluid checks are included in American Transmissions’ 23 Point Multi-check.
A transmission leak can lead to extensive damage to a transmission. Regularly checks of fluid levels and basic inspections to the system are the easiest way to avoid expensive transmission repairs.
3. Cables and Wiring: Transmissions consists of an extensive series of linkage connections. A break in any part of the system will lead to a failure of the entire transmission. Regular inspections of the transmission is the best practice for avoiding catastrophic failure to the transmission.
4. Vehicle history: If you have purchased a used car, we recommend having a professional transmission technician inspect the entire system in order to ensure proper functionality.
5. Overall Engine Performance: Various parts of a vehicle work in conjunction with one another for the overall performance of the car. If one aspect of the system is not performing properly, it can often lead to damage to other parts of the system, including the transmission. Proper vehicle maintenance is important.
6. Faulty or worn-out parts: From gaskets to axles, auto parts wear out. It is important to properly maintain a vehicle and replace parts BEFORE they fail.
7. Computer problems: Newer models rely upon computers almost exclusively for internal diagnostics and performance monitoring. A faulty computer can lead to problems that are not noticed by the driver until extensive damage has occurred.
8. Electronic Components: Your vehicle has a number of sensors designed to monitor system performance. A faulty component can be diagnosed during routine transmission diagnostic tests and help prevent costly repairs.
9. Towing Weight: Trucks and other vehicles that are used to tow heavy loads are most susceptible to transmission problems. If you use your vehicle for towing, it is recommended that you have your transmission checked more frequently than perhaps the manufacturer may recommend as standard.
10. Weather: As a transmission is a closed system that operates under extreme temperatures, performance can be adversely affected by both high and low air temperatures.
American Transmissions specializes in auto transmission service for: Foreign and domestic cars, trucks, vans, SUVs, RVs, 4 WD, big trucks, standard manual and automatic transmissions, overdrive transmission, high performance transmissions, exotic and antique vehicles.